Sunday, April 12, 2015

The NHL Introduces GoPro's

Recently, the National Hockey League has introduced the use of GoPros's on referee helmets. I think this is a really cool idea because fans can now watch from a camera view never used before.  As a big fan of the game, being able to watch highlights from my favourite games from the view of an official is really cool to me. Also, this can help referees make tough decisions as in if a goal counts or not. The adition of GoPro's on NHL officials could change the outcome of many games.
The players have also been enjoying themselves with this new technology. Many of the leagues best have been sent to New Jersey to have GoPro's mounted to their helmets to showcase their skills. Sidney Crosby, PK Subban,  Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Towes and more stared in the very first GoPro; On the Ice with the NHL video. From watching the video many times, I believe that the players are having a lot of fun with the GoPros. The video showcases them goofing off and laughing with trainers and other players. For me, this is fun and cool because players can have fun while demonstrating what the GoPro can do. I think that GoPro has chosen the right sport to show off their product, the angles in the videos are spot on and really show the stick handling, skating and shooting of the players. As a big fan of the game, I can learn from the videos, I can see how some of my favourite players do moves and handle the puck.
GoPro; On the Ice with the NHL video
Also, in the recent NHL Allstar game, the referees wore GoPros on their helmets for one of the first times. During the game, you could watch the view from the view of the refs. As a fan, I watched the game from an angle I've never seen it from before. I love the new technology, it makes the life of a fan a lot better. To conclude, GoPros are a really good idea to be added into the NHL.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like if they could some how introduce GoPros on the helmets of refs permanently it would greatly benefit the game. I can personally remember times when botched calls completely changed the out come of games, but if we could see exactly what the refs see, we could go back and double check important calls. What's your opinion on this? I would like to know

    ReplyDelete